FRIENDS. It’s been so long. I’ve been kept busy over here by our sweet little Ezra. He made his way into this world (four days late) on October 17th. He’s been such a joy! I knew I wanted to share my birth story even before Ezra was born because I loved reading others stories while I was pregnant. Of course, I had no idea how hard it would be to do things with a newborn! But alas, we’ve made it.

I only have one picture from my actual labor, but plenty from when Ezra finally came!

My labor was long… about 24 hours long. I’ll start by saying that my plan going into labor was open minded. However, I planned on going without medication. Ya’ll, there is nothing to prepare you for labor and I wish I had made more of a plan to work through it.

At 4:30 a.m on Tuesday (the 16th), I woke up to cramping. I had been having Braxton Hicks contractions for a long time so I just went back to bed. I woke up again at 6:30 and still had cramping along with some blood (I assume this is what they call the bloody show… tmi, I know. But you are reading a birthing story). I wasn’t sure what to do so I called the doctor and they told us to come in. It was about a 45 minute drive to the hospital. I had an appointment that morning anyway so we were hoping that it was time!

When we arrived around 8, they hooked me up and checked to see if my water was leaking – and it was not. I was contracting and was almost completely effaced but still not dilated. The nurse told us to head home (bummer!) but she thinks we would be back that day. We left pretty annoyed and tired, but we knew he’d come when he was ready. I mean, he had no choice but to come out! Nick went back to work and I went home to walk. Horrible idea. I honestly didn’t know if I would be able to make it back to my car. I called Nick, who had only been at work for about an hour, and he picked me up to head back to the hospital. We made it there around four!

They admitted me and things progressed slowly, which was frustrating because I was in a lot of pain and felt like we were getting somewhere. We did have a lot of family coming around to keep us company– this was nice but if you’re anything like me you feel  like you have to keep people entertained and I was most definitely not in the mood to be doing that. Around 8 pm my doctor came in and checked me. I was only dilated to a THREE. At this point he broke my water and things got really intense.


I sat in the shower for a long time. I don’t know if it helped or not but it was nice to sit alone for a little while. With each contraction I would just shake and tense up. I couldn’t seem to relax. By the time I stopped shaking and relaxed it started back up. I called for Nick and we talked through getting the epidural. I think I was dilated to a 6 or 7 when I finally decided to get it around midnight. And WOW. Epidural’s are crazy. After getting it, I started talking nonstop. When the nurse told me I just talked through a contraction I couldn’t believe it.

I figured this would be a good time for rest but Ezra’s heart rate was going down with each contraction, so I was too concerned to sleep. Every so often, Nick and the nurse would roll me over or change my position to try and help to keep his heart rate stable. They also moved me into different positions to help push him down. Around 4 or so, I felt extremely nauseous. A few minutes later, I threw up. It was also during this time I started feeling the contractions again. Apparently, throwing up is a good sign that things are happening so the doctor came in and check me and it was time to push!

I didn’t push for long- maybe 35 minutes. Ezra’s heart rate really dropped with each push and it was scary. But I’m so thankful for the L and D team we had. They were funny and kept me emotionally stable. My nurse was the best! She really worked hard to keep me comfortable. Funny story: During the pushes, Nick looked at me and said, “I’ll be right back. I have to use the bathroom.” We all just watched him leave the room… there was a bathroom in our room. We told him this and he couldn’t use it because “there were too many of us in there.” I looked at everyone and said, “He gets nervous poops.”

I have to mention that Nick was really great through the entire labor AND he didn’t pass out! He even cut the umbilical cord! What a guy. He was just as thrown off by labor as I was but he supported me well. He now compares labor to war…

At 5:05 a.m., Ezra was placed on my chest and I will never be able to describe that precious moment. He was 7 lbs 1 oz, 21 in long, and we had so much love for him. It was only Nick in the room, but as soon as our moms heard him crying, they ran in… my poor dad tried to as well until he realized it wasn’t time for him yet. We did our best to soak in each moment despite our physical and mental exhaustion.

Processed with VSCO with a6 presetProcessed with VSCO with a6 presetProcessed with VSCO with a6 preset

Processed with VSCO with e5 preset

As hard as that day was, I miss the first time I met him. But watching him grow and caring for him each day has been even better. He’s now two months old and learning so much! He smiles at us and talks to us all day. He’s a good 12 pounds now. He’s a cherished gift and I couldn’t imagine life without him.

Processed with VSCO with a6 preset


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s