Healthy gingerbread muffins that are fluffy and perfect with that morning cup of coffee (and every other cup after that).
It may be February and almost spring and gingerbread may be out of season, but I was craving gingerbread muffins so duh I’m going to make some. Go against the status quo, friends, and make some gingerbread muffins.
It’s difficult staying in a home that’s not ours and making due while all of our things are packed up. But it’s happening! I actually mixed the batter in a large pot because Nick’s dad doesn’t have any large bowls… it worked out great and actually might start using pots from now on. I mean they’re huge and they have handles so they’re quite convenient. Give it a try… I dare you.
These muffins have a texture similar to cake yet they are so light! They’re made with whole wheat flour, molasses, spices like ginger, cloves, and cinnamon, and sweetened with maple syrup. They have a sprinkle of cane sugar that adds a nice sweetness and crunch! These muffins are perfectly warm and cozy.
So get bakin’! *I’ve provided links to the ingredients that I use. Just click on the item and it will take you directly to it. 🙂
Healthy Gingerbread Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (or pastry flour)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1-2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted and then cooled
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 egg + 1 egg white (room temperature)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup vanilla greek yogurt (or plain)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or milk of choice)
- cane sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a muffin tin with liners or spray with oil.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. In another bowl, whisk together coconut oil, molasses, maple syrup, eggs, vanilla, yogurt, and almond milk. Slowly add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until they are just combined.
- Distribute batter to each muffin tin; about 1/2 full. Sprinkle muffins with cane sugar.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until tested and it comes out clean. Let cool and then enjoy with that cup of joe!