Sweet, soft, and chewy… you need these in your life.
At the coffee shop where I work, we make lattes that taste like snickerdoodle cookies. I know, yum. My husband, Nick, does this thing where he names the latte drinks after himself and then tries to convince my boss to give him commission. It hasn’t worked yet but he’s relentless. He calls the snickerdoodle latte the “Nickerdoodle” latte. I guess it’s cute.
I decided to make some Snickerdoodle cookies and it turned out so tasty I had to share the recipe. I pulled out what I had in my kitchen and made it work. I recently bought whole wheat pastry flour to try out. I tried it when I made muffins and I wasn’t a huge fan. But it turned out wonderful in these cookies!
If you’re anything like me, you make decisions impulsively. I wasn’t prepared to make these so my butter and coconut oil wasn’t softened. No problemo! I stuck the coconut oil and the butter (contained within a zip lock back) into a bowl of warm water. Ten minutes later you are ready to roll.
First I mixed my sugar and cinnamon together. I did have a good bit leftover so you can either do less of each or do what I did and sprinkle more on at the end!
Next, I mixed my butter, oil, and sugars together. You can totally use all butter in these. I don’t know about all coconut oil, though. Butter plays a big part in flavor here. Mix with a hand or standing mixer until well combined and a little creamy!
Slowly add your flour until it forms a dough. Grab your cinnamon sugar and begin rolling the dough into balls (about a tablespoons worth), dip it into the cinnamon sugar, and put onto your cookie sheet. Then, let the oven do it’s thang for about ten minutes and wa-la! You’ve got a delightful snack that’ll last you (if you’re lucky) 24 hours.
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar*
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 1/4 cup softened coconut oil
- 1 egg*
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet (or two!) with parchment paper and set aside.
- Mix together the cinnamon and sugar, then set aside.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, and vinegar. Set it aside.
- In a large bowl, use a stand or hand mixer to mix together sugar, brown sugar, oil, and butter until creamy. Mix well! Add the egg and vanilla until combined.
- Slowly, add the flour mixture until you have a soft dough. If it’s sticky, somethings wrong!
- Scoop about a tablespoons worth and roll into a ball. Roll dough into the cinnamon sugar mixture until even coated and then place onto the prepared sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes and let cool.
*You can replace the white vinegar with lemon juice or cream of tarter. If you use cream of tarter, only use 1/2 tsp!
**Try and use an egg that is at room temperature. Like I said, I wasn’t prepared. So I walked around for 10 minutes with it in my hoodie pocket. It was pretty affective!
Let me know what you think. Enjoy friends!